Ubuntu 8.04 LTS and Request Tracker

Looking at some different possibilities regarding desktop support, so I’m outlining the steps I took to get a working copy of RT up and running on an Ubuntu 8.0 LTS server.

I’m setting this up in a VM on my desktop, since it’s Virtual PC I need to add the following at the startup and then later in the menu.lst file.

vga=771 noreplace-paravirt

 

Install LTS like you normally would, the only option I chose at the end was the OpenSSH that way if/when I forget to configure the noreplace nonsense I can still login and work.

From what I’ve seen the only version of RT available through the repos is 3.6, which I’m sure isn’t that big of a deal, currently Best Practices is on release 3.8. I have found a couple of articles that talk about setting things up which I’ll list at the end of this posting.

The following command will show you a list of packages available:

sudo apt-cache search rt3

I’m going to install the following packages:

  • rt3.6-apache2 –
  • rt3.6-clients –
  • request-tracker3.6 –
  • apahce2-doc –
  • postfix –
  • lynx –
  • postgresql –
  • libdbd-pg-perl –

sudo apt-get install rt3.6-apache2 rt3.6-clients request-tracker3.6 apache2-doc postfix lynx postgresql libdbd-pg-perl

For postfix choose an internet site, you can go back later and configure anything else you may need.

Once everything is installed you will want to configure your RT_SiteConfig.pm file, this appears to contain just general settings for the system.

nano /etc/request-tracker3.6/RT_SiteConfig.pm

Once that is done you will want to create a user account that has the ability to manipulate the database.

sudo su

su – postgres

createuser -s -P dba

exit

You should now have a user who can login and do dba-type things. I was following the guide up to this point, and this is where I deviated, I created the user first then ran the script and things seemed to go fine.

sudo su

su – postgres

/usr/sbin/rt-setup-database-3.6 –action init –dba dba –prompt-for-dba-password

exit

Now that you have a database you will need to configure apache so you can serve it up. I’m using the default sites-available file as we’re testing this out, so if you’re customizing things you may want to choose a different method, but either way I beleive you will need to edit the VirtualHost section and add the following line.

Include /etc/request-tracker3.6/apache2-modperl2.conf

Then you will need to enable mod-rewrite

a2enmod rewrite

Once that is taken care of you should be able to restart apache and browse to http://yourserver/rt and see things.

/etc/init.d/apache2 restart

You should now see a login prompt, user is ‘root’ and password is ‘password’. You may want to check the main wiki for BestPractical to see how to configure the system once installed.

 

Resources:

BestPractical wiki: http://wiki.bestpractical.com/view/UbuntuHardyInstallGuide

Views and the Cloud

One of the things I’ve enjoyed recently are tag clouds I have no good explanation for it other than they look cool. So since I just finished migrating all my junk over to this server I decided I would set that up. Drupal appears to have a module for almost everything so a tag cloud seemed like a no brainer on the module site listing. Sure enough there is the “Views_Cloud” module that depends on the “Views” module.

The module doesn’t really add anything other than a style to a view. Being completely new to this I started poking around the documentation. Which was pretty sparse, there was an exported “working” cloud and then a step-by-step on how to set your own cloud up. Both the export and the step-by-step yielded a page that had a really cool tag cloud that appeared to be functional, but when a tag was clicked on, you were directed to a page that had a link for each time the tag was used, not a list of the actual articles the tag could be found in.

Now, I noticed a few things, first the step-by-step suggests adding a Node Statistics: Page View Total, if you don’t have statistics turned on this isn’t around. I can’t remember if that’s a module or not, i don’t think so. Second that the path for my cloud was http://www.patton-tech.com/cloud and if I had clicked on the IT tag (id =1) I would get the following URL, http://www.patton-tech.com/cloud/1. At the time this worked but displayed literally one link for each time the tag had been used which was 98 times. So I had 98 links named IT and the url for each was the second URL I listed.

Since the IT tag’s ID is 1, I simply changed the URL in the address bar, replaced /cloud/ with /taxonomy/term/ and noticed that the new URL worked as it should. So all I needed to do is find out where the /cloud/ was being generated from. Turns out that in the Page “tab” for the view there is a path property that is set to “cloud” changing that to “taxonomy/term” my cloud works!

Hopefully someone will find this information useful.

Tagging

This afternoon I imported all my stubs into the vbs link above. On the way home I thought it would be really nice if I had tagged them initially to make it easier to search and so on. So this evening after dinner I started working on tagging each stub, and had some problems early on that I think are related to adding a revision note. I haven’t really worked that out yet, but long story short, tags are done! For now…